A key component of our vision is to produce new knowledge on health service strengthening through ground-breaking research. We also aim to develop future health leadership through building the research capacity of our partners in Sierra Leone.
Working collaboratively with partners, key Sierra Leonean institutions, international organisations, and individuals we have been involved in publications across the following themes:
Health Education & Workforce
- Woodward, A., Thomas, S., Jalloh, M. B., Rees, J., & Leather, A. (2017). Reasons to pursue a career in medicine: a qualitative study in Sierra Leone. Global Health Research and Policy, 2(1), 34. doi:10.1186/s41256-017-0054-7
- Kamara, S., Walder, A., Duncan, J., Kabbedijk, A., Hughes, P., & Muana, A. (2017). Mental health care during the Ebola virus disease outbreak in Sierra Leone. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 95(12), 842. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.16.190470
Emergency & Critical Care
- R Lowsby, C Kamara, M Kamara, H Nyhus, N Williams, M Bradfield, H L Harrison. 2017. An Assessment of Nurse-Led Triage at Connaught Hospital, Sierra Leone in the Immediate Post-Ebola Period. AfJEM June 2017
- H L Harrison, M Sesay, R Lowsby. 2016. Sierra Field Report 2016, Emergency Physicians International Journal, October 2016. www.epijournal.com/articles/264/sierra-leone-field-report-2016
- T Tolppa, R Lowsby, H Harrison, G Evans, C Kamara. 2016. Mortality of emergency patients in a tertiary referral hospital in Sierra Leone- Baseline rate and correlation with admission triage category, Emerg Med J 2016;33:924-925
- Coyle, Rachel M., and Hooi-Ling Harrison. 2015. “Emergency care capacity in Freetown, Sierra Leone: a service evaluation.” BMC emergency medicine 15:2-2. doi: 10.1186/s12873-015-0027-4.
- Dare, AJ., Lee KC, Bleicher J, Elobu AE, Kamara TB, Liko O, et al. Prioritizing Surgical Care on National Health Agendas: A Qualitative Case Study of Papua New Guinea, Uganda, and Sierra Leone. 2016. 1–25.
- Arkell, P. Youkee, D., Brown, C. S., Kamara, A., Kamara, T. B., Johnson, O., Lado, M., George, V., Koroma, F., King, M. B., Parker, B. E. and Baker, P., Quantifying the risk of nosocomial infection within Ebola Holding Units: a retrospective cohort study of negative patients discharged from five Ebola Holding Units in Western Area, Sierra Leone. Trop Med Int Health. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/tmi.12802
- Brown, Colin, Paul Arkell, and Sakib Rokadiya. 2015. “Ebola virus disease: the ‘Black Swan’ in West Africa.” Tropical Doctor 45 (1):2-5. doi: 10.1177/0049475514564269.
- Brown, Colin, Mohamed Elsherbiny, Oliver Johnson, Amardeep Kamboz, Marta Lado, Andrew Leather, Natalie Mounter, Suzanne Thomas, Dan Youkee, Naomi Walker, Waheed Awonuga, TB Kamara, Cecilia Kamara, Quannan Kessete and Ramatu Ngauja, (2016). Book Chapter: Ebola and Health Partnerships, Action in a Time of Crisis, Ebola, Dr. Crtomir Podlipnik (Ed.), InTech, DOI: 10.5772/63440. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/ebola/ebola-and-health-partnerships-action-in-a-time-of-crisis
- Bundu, I., Patel A, Mansaray A, Kamara TB, Hunt LM. Surgery in the time of Ebola: how events impacted on a single surgical institution in Sierra Leone. J R Army Med Corps. 2016 Jan 19. Available from: http://jramc.bmj.com/cgi/content/long/jramc-2015-000582v1
- Fitzgerald F, Naveed A, Wing K, Gbessay M, Ross JCG, Checchi F, et al. Ebola virus disease in children, Sierra Leone, 2014–2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016 Oct. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/22/10/16-0579_article
- Johnson, O., Youkee, D., Brown, C. S., Lado, M., Wurie, A., Bash-Taqi, D., Hall, A.,Hanciles, E., Kamara, I., Kamara, C., Kamboz, A., Seedat, A., Thomas, S.,Kamara, T. B., Leather, A. J., & Kargbo, B. (2016). Ebola Holding Units at government hospitals in Sierra Leone: evidence for a flexible and effective model for safe isolation, early treatment initiation, hospital safety and health system functioning. BMJ Global Health, 1(1), e000030. Accessed June 22, 2016. doi: 10.1136/bmjgh-2016-000030.
- Howlett, Patrick, Colin Brown, Trina Helderman, Tim Brooks, Durodamil Lisk, Gibrilla Deen, Marylou Solbrig, and Marta Lado. 2016. “Ebola Virus Disease Complicated by Late-Onset Encephalitis and Polyarthritis, Sierra Leone.” Emerging Infectious Diseases 22 (1):150-152. doi: 10.3201/eid2201.151212.
- Lado, Marta, Naomi F. Walker, Peter Baker, Shamil Haroon, Colin S. Brown, Daniel Youkee, Neil Studd, Quaanan Kessete, Rishma Maini, Tom Boyles, Eva Hanciles, Alie Wurie, Thaim B. Kamara, Oliver Johnson, and Andrew J. M. Leather. 2015. “Clinical features of patients isolated for suspected Ebola virus disease at Connaught Hospital, Freetown, Sierra Leone: a retrospective cohort study.” Lancet Infectious Diseases 15 (9):1024-1033. doi: 10.1016/s1473-3099(15)00137-1.
- Lado, Marta, and Patrick Howlett. 2016. “Ebola virus disease in children: towards a better clinical picture and improved management.” The Lancet Global Health 4 (7):e436-e437. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(16)30111-5 .
- Lowsby, R., Kamara C., Kamara M., Nyhus H., Williams N., Bradfield M., et al. An assessment of nurse-led triage at Connaught Hospital, Sierra Leone in the immediate post-Ebola period. African J Emerg Med. 2016.
- Walker, N. F., C. S. Brown, D. Youkee, P. Baker, N. Williams, A. Kalawa, K. Russell, A. F. Samba, N. Bentley, F. Koroma, M. B. King, B. E. Parker, M. Thompson, T. Boyles, B. Healey, B. Kargbo, D. Bash-Taqi, A. J. Simpson, A. Kamara, T. B. Kamara, M. Lado, O. Johnson, and T. Brooks. 2015a. “Evaluation of a point-of-care blood test for identification of Ebola virus disease at Ebola holding units, Western Area, Sierra Leone, January to February 2015.” Eurosurveillance 20 (12). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917.ES2015.20.12.21073
- Youkee, Daniel, Colin S. Brown, Paul Lilburn, Nandini Shetty, Tim Brooks, Andrew Simpson, Neil Bentley, Marta Lado, Thaim B. Kamara, Naomi F. Walker, and Oliver Johnson. 2015. “Assessment of Environmental Contamination and Environmental Decontamination Practices within an Ebola Holding Unit, Freetown, Sierra Leone.” Plos One 10 (12). doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0145167.
- Youkee, D., Williams N, Laggah M, Howlett P, Lado M, Brady L, et al. The impact of the 2014–15 Ebola virus disease epidemic on emergency care attendance and capacity at a tertiary referral hospital in Freetown, Sierra Leone: a retrospective observational study. Lancet. 2016 Feb; 387:S109. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673616004967
- King’s Ebola Holding Unit Guide – a guide to the King’s model of holding unit construction and operation within existing hospital buildings
Health Systems Strengthening