Friends of King’s Global Health Partnerships
King’s Global Health Partnerships (KGHP) work to improve healthcare and its outcomes by empowering people, strengthening organisations and enhancing systems in Sierra Leone, Somaliland and the Democratic Republic of Congo. We achieve this by contributing technical advice, mentoring and training, research, access to resources and facilitating collaboration, with a focus on improving training, clinical services, policy and research.
KGHP are looking for students with a passion for global health and an interest in learning more about how the partnerships work. You can be involved in a variety of ways, including but not limited to:
- Fundraising, from small fundraisers to organised challenge events
- Arranging lectures/seminars/exhibitions, involving former volunteers and technical advisors
- Supporting Sierra Leonean students when they come to London on their medical electives
- Setting up ‘pen pal’ networks or joint social media feeds with students at universities in partner countries
- Networking and careers discussions with partnerships staff and volunteers (working in the field, grants management, project management, etc)
- Organising events in line with key anniversaries e.g. since Sierra Leone was declared Ebola-free
To find out more and join the discussion, join the Facebook group or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Electives in London
KSLP offers the opportunity for medical students from College of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences (COMAHS) to undertake their electives through King’s College London.
This opportunity is available for fifth year medical students and currently the electives are undertaken during August / September (which is the designated elective period in the COMAHS timetable) for 3 or 4 weeks. Where possible, we try to give students clinical experience in an area of their choice.
The contact person for COMAHS student electives is Suzanne Thomas (Education Lead) email@example.com
Applications for 2019 entry will open in early 2019.
Electives in Freetown
The team in Freetown welcome elective students from King’s College London and other universities on 6 – 8 week placements throughout the year. The students gain clinical experience while working on our health systems strengthening projects.
Applications for 2019 have now closed. Please look out for 2020 opportunities in early 2019.